Thursday 16 October 2008

A Poem I Have Always Loved

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am in a thousand winds that blow,
I am the softly falling snow.
I am the gentle showers of rain,
I am the fields of ripening grain.
I am in the morning hush,
I am in the graceful rush
Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
I am the starshine of the night.
I am in the flowers that bloom,
I am in a quiet room.
I am in the birds that sing,
I am in each lovely thing.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there. I do not die.

By Mary Elizabeth Frye

I have always loved this poem, I think it is so hopeful and comforting to people who have lost someone.

I often think about death, I do not mean to but it comes to me when I am lying in the dark waiting for sleep. I try to hard to believe that I will go to Heaven, I try not to think about the other place, in truth I guess I believe that I am a good enough person not to go to the other place. What scares me is, what if I am wrong, what if there is nothing? Nothing scares me most, the idea that when you die, that's it. Your mind, you consciousness will cease, you will not remember, you soul does not leave you earthly bound, just nothing.

Sometimes I think I can feel the passage of time, in the evening you think about a point in the day, and it's still close enough that you can remember clearly what you were doing, how you were feeling, but it's gone. That's Time. Hazy memories never have the same effect, but at 4:00 when you are wishing that day away, and then suddenly you are in your bed and you can quite clearly remember thinking, "when will this day end” but now you are thinking "it has."

These are the thoughts that plague me before is sleep, I tried to explain this to a friend of mine once, I don't think I did it very well, any way she didn't seem to understand, she did say that I had very Deep thoughts and that she didn't think about things like that. I wish I didn't think about those things either, maybe then I would be able to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment